Professional Indemnity Insurance Help Centre
Get answers to the most frequently asked questions about professional indemnity insurance and Doctor Shield
Browse the categories below to find your answers. If you don’t find what you are looking for, use the contact form to connect with a professional insurance indemnity specialist.
What makes JA’s solution different?
- It is the World’s First complete online platform to purchase Medical Malpractice Insurance
- We partner with Chubb, the World’s Largest Property & Casualty Insurer.
- Claims are fast and easy as Chubb has local capacity to pay claims and is located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Clients can appoint their own Lawyer of choice with medico legal experience subject to the approval of our insurer.
What is the limit for Locum practice ?
What is covered in Doctor Shield’s Professional Indemnity Insurance?
- Covers for claims arising from a Medical Incident by the insured in the provision of professional healthcare services
- Cover for legal representation costs incurred directly in connection with formal inquiries into the conduct of professional healthcare services
- Vicarious liability for doctors and doctors working as locum
- Good Samaritan Acts
- Covers for claims for unintentional defamation by the insured in the provision of professional healthcare services
- Covers for unintentional infringement of any intellectual property
- Loss of documents
- Unlimited run-off coverage
- Advancement of defence costs and legal representation expenses
- Cyber & Privacy Infringement
- Unlimited retroactive date
- Covers Aggravated Damages
- Public relations cost
- Option to add Auto reinstatement
- Full support for mediation
- Expert Doctors and Medico Legal Lawyers consultation
What is the classification for GP practicing aesthetics?
What is the classification of a government university lecturer practicing at government hospitals?
Are Doctor shield premiums tax exempted?
If the locum center is not listed in the ANNUAL PRACTICING CERTIFICATE, is the doctor still covered?
What are territorial limits?
- This means you are covered worldwide except for USA/CANADA.
- However, the legal cases must be heard in Malaysian courts only.
Who is the best to advise on the doctor’s classification?
Is there any difference between The Doctor Shield and other schemes?
Nevertheless, we will be able to highlight our benefits that are unique in the market. It may also help you understand why many have signed up with us.
- The Doctor Shield has made it possible for doctors to customize the coverage they want and purchase it within 10 minutes, that includes receiving your insurance policy. https://quote.thedoctorshield.com/
- The policy is underwritten by Chubb who are the World’s Largest Property & Casualty Insurer. And they have local capacity within Malaysia to pay claims unlike many of the competitors who may have reinsured the risk to an overseas reinsurer. This may affect significant sized claims as it goes through two layers of loss investigation and approval.
- You can renew policies within 2 minutes via our online platform. You will receive reminders to renew periodically 6 months prior to your police renewal.
- We offer the option to insure your clinic as professional indemnity. This is a custom made insurance to clinic owners who have clinics registered as separate legal entity (registered as Sdn Bhd). You can also purchase the clinic indemnity separately.
- The Doctor Shield encourages alternative dispute resolution methods especially mediation. We fully support quicker dispute resolution.
- We offer unlimited retroactive date. Which means that you are covered against any unknown claims arising from day one of your career.
- If you are a clinic owner, you can insure your clinic in addition to your individual professional indemnity insurance within minutes via our online platform. https://quote.thedoctorshield.com/
- We offer unlimited run off coverage for you to be covered during your retirement years. This coverage is free of charge as long as you have been insured with us for a minimum of 5 consecutive years. In the event that you are planning for retirement less than 5 years, you may inform us and purchase the run off coverage with an additional premium.
- Regulator’s inquiries are covered within the policies.
- We do not pride ourselves to be the cheapest, but we are certainly the most competitive in most classifications.
- We do have our panel of expert medico legal lawyers ready to be engaged. Nevertheless, we also allow lawyers of your choice to represent you as long as they have medico legal experience subject to the Insurer’s approval.
- Simplified process with ever ready service consultants who can be contacted via our website or WhatsApp. Our main objective of building an online platform is to help clients make an informed decision without any misrepresentation. We have made the coverage comprehensive so as to minimise caveats and ambiguity. Nevertheless, our service consultants are always available to assist with clarifications over the phone or on whatsapp.
What are the differences between the various classifications of Cosmetic and Aesthetic specialization?
“Non-invasive elective topical enhancement of patient’s external appearance, including injections” or minor procedures which include the following:
- Derma Rolling/ Skin Needling.
- Injectables – botulinum toxin Type A (botox, dysport) and non-permanent dermal fillers.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL).
- Laser therapy (excluding laser resurfacing).
- Peels – fruit acid facial peels and superficial depth chemical peels.
Cosmetic and Aesthetic Medium Risk
Invasive procedures of items above
Cosmetic and Aesthetic High risk
- Cosmetic and Aesthetic Surgery: Elective Alteration of Patient’s External Appearance
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Is your company a Singapore based company?
Since Doctor Shield is new to medical indemnity, how experienced are your lawyers in dealing with medico legal suits?
- Doctor Shield – New Technology Platform. New Online submission and policy issuance
- JA Assure, has been in the insurance industry for the last 20 years
- CHUBB is the World’s Largest Property & Casualty Insurer.
- Almost all reputable expert medico legal lawyers in the country are part of our panel.
- Nevertheless, we are also able to accept lawyers of your choice to represent you, as long as they have experience in the medico-legal field, subject to the approval of the insurer.
How to purchase indemnity for year 2021 so doctors can renew their Annual Practicing Certificate earlier?
For an Occupational Health Doctor, which classification should be chosen?
If I buy Medical Malpractice Insurance now, and might change the work practice few months later, would there be any charge?
If I need to leave Malaysia early or stop my practice before December, would there be refund for the balance months?
Are premiums monthly or yearly?
How do I pay the premium?
Where do I get promo codes? And what do Promo codes offer us?
Are there additional premiums if there are double claims in the same year?
In the event that you have purchased an auto reinstatement, the sum assured will be replenished automatically after the claims have exhausted the limit.
Is there a difference in premiums for government doctors of different specializations?
Does the policy yearly premium increase every year and by how much?
What if I am planning to retire from practicing next year ? What is Run Off Cover?
What's the minimum limit of liability for ANNUAL PRACTICING CERTIFICATE eligibility?
We are from a Healthcare company and would like to purchase 1-day insurance for our Doctor from Overseas. Do you have this type of insurance?
Since the doctor is from overseas, it’s important that he checks if he is eligible to practice in Malaysia.
The Insurance will only cover healthcare professionals who are licensed to practice in Malaysia.
Does your insurance coverage come with a Retroactive date? How long is it for?
Everything seems to be related to the Schedule. Can I get a copy of this Schedule please?
What is the minimum and maximum duration of the policy?
- The minimum duration is 6 months and the maximum period for the policy is 18 months.
- The policy will always end on 31st December. Policies effected in the first half of the year (1st Jan to 30th June) will provide coverage till the end of that year only.
- Policies effected on or after 1st July will provide coverage till the end of the following year, ending on 31st December of the following year (maximum coverage for 18 months).
Do you provide coverage for hospitals other than principal place of practice that are not mentioned in the Annual Practicing Certificate?
Do you offer Clinic Indemnity?
If you are planning to insure just your medical establishment, you may approach our service consultants for manual submission and processing of your policy.
If I get a government Doctor with locum policy for now, later can I still upgrade to fully private practice? Or if I get a coverage of RM1 million, can I upgrade to a higher coverage later?
Will the client be compensated if the doctor loses their job due to a claim?
Is there any guideline on how much coverage a client should get?
If the Doctor has 2 or 3 years before retirement, do we offer run-off coverage?
Does DoctorShield cover for regulators inquiries caused by disciplinary act?
Do we get covered for appeal cases?
Can coverage be bought for half year coverage?
Does the policy cover loss of records and leak of documents?
Does the policy cover public relations and counselling cost?
For locum cover, is there a restriction on number of days or hours?
If a staff employed by the clinic makes an error eg. gives the wrong medication, is it covered under this scheme?
- For staff who makes a mistake following your instructions, your insurance will cover for them under vicarious liability. However, the staff may be sued by the insurer to reclaim the expenses.
- The clinic may be sued independently by the plaintiff which won’t be covered by your insurance cover. Therefore, it’s recommended that the clinic has its own insurance, especially if it is registered as a separate legal entity. ie. Sdn Bhd.
The policy states that it also covers personal accident. How do I nominate a name in case of accidental death?
If I choose neurosurgery, does it include spine surgery as well?
Do you issue a policy that ends before 31st December?
What Limits of Liability Are Available under this policy?
Is Doctor Shield an occurrence or claims made policy?
What are the differences between occurrence and claims-made policy.
- Although the policy is claims-made basis, we offer an unlimited retroactive date. In other words, as long as you are holding on to our policy, we cover you for all the unknown matters arising from the date you started practicing.
- We also offer an unlimited run off which means you are covered for life even after you cease your operations or after your retirement.
- In today’s market, most insurers and clients have moved to providing Claims-made basis.
Why is Doctor Shield’s maximum limit capped at RM 10,000,000?
- Doctor Shield currently caps the maximum policy at RM10m as the maximum record claims payout is RM7m to date.
- Nevertheless, you may opt to buy an auto reinstatement with 10% more premiums. That will automatically replenish your limits to another RM10m in the event that the first RM10m is exhausted.
Is there a charge for withdrawal before inception Or during insure period?
How to view your policy before confirming?
May I know what is covered for clinic insurance policy?
The clinic insurance has all the same benefits as the doctor to cover legal expenses and to respond to claims.
Do you have a policy that works by ‘per day working’ basis? As I've retired but occasionally work a couple of days to see a few patients. Buying full time coverage is too expensive for just few days of work.
In the meantime, we might suggest for you to choose the coverage with the lowest sum assured.
Do I have to renew the policy before 31st December?
To get an Annual Practicing Certificate you must renew your policy and submit the details of the policy to the regulator.
An online renewal link will be sent to you 6 months prior the policy end date which would allow you to renew your policy within a few minutes. Alternatively, you can also choose the “Renew” option from our website https://quote.thedoctorshield.com to start processing your renewal within minutes.
When should I start policy renewal Process ?
When should I start policy renewal Process for PI.
What is your Claims Philosophy?
- Medical Malpractice is likely to have caused pain and loss to patients that cannot be always exacted with financial compensation. At the same time, it is our belief that no doctor would have intentionally caused pain to any of his/her patients.
- During the litigation process, the emphasis is on one party being favoured over the other in the eyes of the law. This is why we strongly recommend professional mediation as the first course of action so as to achieve a suitable outcome that is positive for all parties. We are confident that we have a well-qualified and experienced panel of expert lawyers who can achieve successful outcomes through mediation and also fight for your interests fiercely should litigation be necessary.
What is your claims approach?
- We recommend that you allow us to choose the expert lawyer to represent your interests through the claims process. We have confidence in our panel of handpicked lawyers to help you through a successful meditation process and arrive at a positive outcome.
- The objective is to help clients and their respective patients to move on with their lives without having to go through any more pain than necessary. In order to achieve effective dispute resolution, professional mediation is the best course of action and we fully support this effort.
- However, if mediation is unsuccessful, our panel of expert lawyers will be able to move the case into litigation confidently.
How to file a Claim or notify of a claim?
- Timely claims reporting is a requirement of the insurer. In a bid to reduce any time lapse between claims notification and lawyer engagement, we have created an online link for you to submit the details so that the insurers and the lawyers get real time updates.
- Once the online form is submitted, our team will be notified and we will immediately activate one of our trusted lawyers to contact you and provide you with the appropriate advice on the next course of action.
- As we have access to a wide range of medico-legal expert lawyers across the country on our panel, our preference is to activate the nearest to you. However, if you have a preferred lawyer, we can arrange for a quick approval with the insurer if he/she is not already on our panel.
If there is a claim due to a research product, who will cover the loss?
What happens if a claim is more than the limit of liability chosen on the policy?
What situations require us to immediately notify the insurer?
As an insured professional, it is your obligation to notify the insurance provider immediately under any of these situations:
- Claim made against you
- Any and all circumstances that may lead to a possible claim being made against you
- Any and all medical incidents that could potentially lead to a claim
- Any inquiries that imply a claim is being considered against you
Can we consult medical experts upfront in the event of a claim?
CALL OR CHAT WITH US FOR MORE ASSISTANCE
Our friendly professionals are ready to assist you.
Looking for some help?
Need help in picking the right medical professional indemnity insurance, with the right covers? Ask for a call back. Our customer service managers are waiting to support you.